Lanterns

Right now, I'm in love with lanterns. Maybe it's a sign that I'm ready for spring, or maybe it's because candlelight is just so pretty, but I can't seem to stop making them.

Clay: MB
Decoration: Blue Slip and Green Stain under Blue Ice
Firing: Cone 10 Reduction
Some evoke the feeling of looking up at the night sky, and some were inspired by thinking about more fantastical places.

I'm not sure how I dropped in on the idea, but I started thinking about Rivendell. Aesthetically, I loved the soaring arches of the architecture that have shown up in various visual deceptions. And, what would they use to light the paths at night? Lanterns!


Rivendell Lantern
Clay: MB
Decoration: Iron Wash and Light Celadon
Firing: Cone 10 Reduction

Then, I started thinking about Lothlorien. I kept the same cutout pattern, but I added a stamped pattern on the side. The glazing is intended to evoke the feeling of ethereal light, compared to the woodsier feeling of Rivendell. I also tweaked the pattern of the lid to help it sit a little better.


Lothlorien Lantern
Clay: MB
Decoration: Body - Gerstly Rutile and Piepenburg White, Lid - Iron Wash and Light Celadon
Firing: Cone 10 Reduction

Comments

Popular Posts